Gaza
*, ! = read with care
● = may require sign-up or subscription
Guardian: "Israel-Hamas war" — (LINK)
Al Jazeera: was "Israel-Hamas war live": now "Israel War on Gaza" — (LINK)
Ground News: "Israeli-Palestinian Conflict News"— (LINK)
February 2024
More than 100 killed and 760 injured as Israeli forces open fire in chaos at Gaza food lines, Palestinian health ministry says: CNN is unable to independently confirm these numbers — ground.news main source: CNN, 33 media reports — 29 February 2024 (LINK)
Hamas warns it could end hostage talks after killings: An Israeli source said troops opened fire on Thursday at a crowd that surrounded aid trucks in the Gaza Strip after feeling under threat — The Guardian UK ● — 29 February 2024 (LINK)
Israel is deliberately starving Palestinians, UN special rapporteur on the right to food Michael Fakhri says — The Guardian UK ● — 27 February 2024 (LINK)
Attack on Rafah will be 'the nail in coffin' of Gaza aid — UN Chief — ground.news: 12 media reports — 26 February 2024 (LINK)
Palestinian prime minister submits government's resignation, a move that could open door to reforms — ground.news: 188 media reports — 26 February 2024 (LINK)
Netanyahu says a cease-fire deal would only delay 'somewhat' an Israeli military offensive in Rafah — ground.news: 87 media reports — 24 February 2024 (LINK)
UN's Palestinian aid agency 'at breaking point' after $450m budget shortfall — The Guardian UK ● — 25 February 2024 (LINK)
Houthi attacks on Belize-flagged ship earlier in February have created an 29-km oil slick in the Red Sea and an 'environmental disaster' that could only get worse, U.S. military says — AP — 24 February 2024 (LINK)
Israel-Hamas war: 'Progress' in Paris hostage talks as group 'drops' some of its demands: High-ranking Israeli Cabinet members expected to meet with a delegation that returned from talks in Paris with negotiators from the United States, Egypt and Qatar in search of a deal on pausing the fighting in Gaza — ground.news: 94 media reports — 24 February 2024 (LINK)
Biden administration restores Trump-rescinded policy stating Israeli settlements illegitimate — ground.news: 55 media reports — 23 February 2024 (LINK)
Netanyahu on 22 February proposes plan for post-war Gaza with Israeli army having 'freedom' to operate: It was swiftly rejected on 23 February by Palestinian leaders and runs counter to Washington's vision for the war-ravaged enclave — ground.news: 93 media reports — 23 February 2024 (LINK)
Yemen's Houthis say they have banned Israeli-linked and US and UK-flagged vessels from the Red Sea — The Guardian UK ● — 22 February 2024 (LINK)
Suspected Houthi rebel missile sets cargo ship ablaze. Israel intercepts separate attack near Eilat — ground.news: 27 media reports — 22 February 2024 (LINK)
Israeli forces fired on food convoy in Gaza on 5 February, UN documents and satellite analysis reveals — ground.news: 10 media reports — 21 February 2024 (LINK)
WHO chief calls Gaza 'death zone' — ground.news: 11 media reports — 21 February 2024 (LINK)
US charges Japanese crime boss over attempted trafficking of nuclear materials to Iran — ground.news: 27 media reports — 21 February 2024 (LINK)
WFP pauses deliveries to the north of Gaza — ground.news: 104 media reports — 20 February 2024 (LINK)
With 700K on verge of starving to death in Gaza, US vetoes ceasefire call for third time saying it would interfere with negotiations on a deal to free hostages abducted in Israel — ground.news: 213 media reports — 20 February 2024 (LINK)
WHO accuses Israel of hindering medical rescue missions to Nasser hospital, says destruction is 'indescribable' — The Guardian UK ● — 20 February 2024 (LINK)
— statement: "WHO led two life-saving missions to transfer 32 critical patients, including two children, from Nasser medical complex in southern Gaza on 18 and 19 February.
The transfer of patients was requested by the hospital staff after the facility became non-functional following a military raid on 14 February, after a week-long siege. Weak and frail patients were transferred amidst active conflict near the aid convoy.
Nasser hospital has no electricity or running water, and medical waste and garbage are creating a breeding ground for disease. WHO staff said the destruction around the hospital was 'indescribable.' The area was surrounded by burnt and destroyed buildings, heavy layers of debris, with no stretch of intact road. An estimated 130 sick and injured patients and at least 15 doctors and nurses remain inside the hospital.
Prior to the missions, WHO received two consecutive denials to access the hospital for medical assessment, causing delays in urgently needed patient referral. Reportedly, at least five patients died in the Intensive Care Unit before any missions or transfers were possible.
It goes on to say that due to "unforgiving road conditions" a team had attempted to reach the complex on foot. It said, having reached the Nasser medical complex with an engineer:
They were only permitted to examine the generator, which had ceased functioning after running out of fuel. During both missions, senior WHO staff clearly identified themselves upon entering the hospital compound and requested approval to assess patients and evaluate hospital functionality. These requests were denied.
On the condition of the hospital, WHO says:
The hospital's large medical warehouse, along with supplies provided by WHO and partners, has burnt down, and the warehouse for day-to-day medical supplies is partly damaged."
UN experts condemn 'credible' reports of executions, sexual assault by Israeli soldiers — ground.news: 32 media reports — 19 February 2024 (LINK)
United Nations warns of 'explosion' in child deaths in Gaza — ground.news: 70 media reports — 19 February 2024 (LINK)
EU launches maritime security operation as cargo ship damaged in Red Sea after missiles fired from Yemen — The Guardian UK ● — 19 February 2024 (LINK)
Israel sets March Ramadan deadline for Gaza ground offensive in Rafah — ground.news: 139 media reports — 18 February 2024 (LINK)
Norway to help transfer tax funds frozen by Israel to Palestinian Authority — Al Jazeera — 18 February 2024 (LINK)
Top UN court to hold 5-day hearings from 19 February on legality of the Israeli occupation of Palestinian-claimed lands — ground.news: 49 media reports — 18 February 2024 (LINK)
Israel strikes across Gaza as US says it will block another cease-fire resolution at UN — ground.news main source: CNN, 82 media reports — 18 February 2024 (LINK)
Nasser hospital in Gaza 'not functional', says WHO chief — The Guardian UK ● — 18 February 2024 (LINK)
As thousands protest in Tel Aviv, Netanyahu dismisses calls for early elections — ground.news: 24 media reports — 17 February 2024 (LINK)
The head of the UN's lead agency helping Palestinians accuses Israel of seeking to destroy it — ground.news main source: AP, 22 media reports — 17 February 2024 (LINK)
Israel arrests 100 'terror suspects' in Nasser hospital — The Guardian UK ● — 17 February 2024 (LINK)
Top UN court rejects South African request for urgent measures to safeguard Rafah — ground.news: 48 media reports — 17 February 2024 (LINK)
US envoy says Israel has not presented evidence that Hamas diverted U.N. aid deliveries in Gaza — ground.news: 8 media reports — 17 February 2024 (LINK)
— To defend himself later, Griffiths tweeted: "Just to clarify: Hamas is not on the list of groups designated as terrorist organizations by the United Nations Security Council. This doesn't make their acts of terror on 7 October any less horrific and reprehensible, as I've been saying all along."
The German Foreign Office X feed took issue with Griffiths, noting: "To make it crystal clear: The EU has listed Hamas as a terrorist organization and so have many others."
" rel="noopener noreferrer nofollow" target="_blank">LINK)
— To defend himself later, Griffiths tweeted: "Just to clarify: Hamas is not on the list of groups designated as terrorist organizations by the United Nations Security Council. This doesn't make their acts of terror on 7 October any less horrific and reprehensible, as I've been saying all along."
The German Foreign Office X feed took issue with Griffiths, noting: "To make it crystal clear: The EU has listed Hamas as a terrorist organization and so have many others."
Israeli Ambassador to the UN Gilad Erdan blasted Griffiths, calling OCHA "a terror-excusing, Hamas-promoting, victim-blaming organization." — timesofisrael — (LINK)
Egypt 'setting up contingency area' in case of Rafah exodus: country denied move but has warned that Israel's offensive could push Palestinians into Sinai — The Guardian UK ● — 16 February 2024 (LINK)
US seizes weapons shipment headed from Iran to Houthi-controlled areas in Yemen — ground.news: 29 media reports — 15 February 2024 (LINK)
Israel can compete at 2024 Eurovision song contest, say organizers — The Guardian UK ● — 15 February 2024 (LINK)
— "The Eurovision song contest is a non-political music event and a competition between public service broadcasters who are members of the EBU. It is not a contest between governments," the EBU director general, Noel Curran, said in a statement.
Biden temporarily protects Palestinians in the US from deportation amid conflict abroad — ground.news: 59 media reports — 14 February 2024 (LINK)
'Military operations in Rafah could lead to a slaughter in Gaza' and a 'humanitarian operation at death's door', warns UN's Martin Griffiths — The Guardian UK ● — 13 February 2024 (LINK)
South Africa has launched an 'urgent request' with top UN court over Israel's targeting of Rafah — ground.news: 42 media reports — 13 February 2024 (LINK)
Two Israeli hostages freed in Rafah, says IDF, as Palestinians report 67 deaths — The Guardian UK ● — 12 February 2024 (LINK)
Houthi rebels claimed responsibility for targeting a United States-owned ship with naval missiles in the Red Sea, disrupting trade between Europe and Asia — ground.news: 34 media reports — 12 February 2024 (LINK)
A bulk carrier was hit by the Iran-backed Houthis in the Red Sea, south-west of Yemen's port city of Mokha, British maritime security company Ambrey reported on Monday, marking the first such attack in five days. — thenationalnews — (LINK)
Biden says US is working on new hostage deal that would pause fighting in Gaza for 6 weeks — ground.news: 51 media reports — 12 February 2024 (LINK)
Netanyahu pledges 'safe passage' to Palestinian civilians ahead of Rafah operation — france24.com — 11 February 2024 (LINK)
Israel unveils tunnels underneath Gaza City headquarters of U.N. Agency for Palestinian Refugees — ground.news: 159 media reports — 11 February 2024 (LINK)
Al Jazeera: "UNWRA refutes Israeli implications of Hamas tunnel below Gaza HQ": The aid agency says it has 'no knowledge' of areas beneath its headquarters in Gaza. — aljazeera — (LINK)
Israel warned against 'catastrophic' Rafah offensive as starvation fears grow — The Guardian UK ● — 10 February 2024 (LINK)
117 Palestinians killed in Israeli strikes in the past 24 hours, says health ministry
Israeli deployment of new military AI in Gaza war raises fears by defence experts
Israel appears to be in breach of ICJ orders on Gaza, senior UN official says: Special rapporteur cites lack of medical supplies, food and clean water, and continued demolition of infrastructure — The Guardian UK ● — 10 February 2024 (LINK)
UN leader says Palestinian aid agency cannot be effectively replaced amid scrutiny — ground.news: media reports — 8 February 2024 (LINK)
Netanyahu rejects Hamas cease-fire demands, vows to fight until 'absolute victory' — ground.news: 239 media reports — 7 February 2024 (LINK)
Drone strike in Baghdad kills high-ranking militia commander, officials say — ground.news: 191 media reports — 7 February 2024 (LINK)
Hamas proposes 3-stage ceasefire over 135 days, leading to end of Gaza war with Israel — ground.news main source: CNN, 71 media reports — 7 February 2024 (LINK)
Report finds "no evidence" in key dossier to support Israel's UNRWA allegations — truthout.org — 6 February 2024 (LINK)
Israel confirms deaths of 31 hostages as Hamas responds to truce proposals — The Guardian UK ● — 6 February 2024 (LINK)
UN envoy in Iraq to step down at end of May, says country 'on a knife edge' — Al Jazeera — 6 February 2024 (LINK)
U.S. House fails to pass GOP effort to provide Israel with $17b in standalone aid — ground.news: 99 media reports — 6 February 2024 (LINK)
British-owned cargo vessel attacked in Red Sea — ground.news: 48 media reports — 6 February 2024 (LINK)
Al Jazeera: Defiant Houthis claim fresh Red Sea attacks on US, UK ships — aljazeera — (LINK)
Who is Handala, the barefoot, spiky-haired boy who symbolizes Palestinian resistance? Created by cartoonist Naji al-Ali in 1969, Handala is a 10-year-old Palestinian refugee with his back to the world — npr — 6 February 2024 (LINK)
Drone strike in Syria reported to have killed six members of US-backed Kurdish-led group — The Guardian UK ● — 5 February 2024 (LINK)
After new US strikes hitting Yemen, Iran issues a warning about suspected spy ships in the Mideast — ground.news: 87 media reports — 5 February 2024 (LINK)
As donors suspend critical funding to UNRWA, allegations against staff remain murky — passblue — 5 February 2024 (LINK)
— The accusations against a handful of staff in an agency of 13,000 employees operating in Gaza alone have already had a devastating effect on civilians. UNRWA provides essential government services in Gaza, including running 278 schools for 280,000 children and 22 primary healthcare centres, while also providing food to the approximately 2 million people who have been under siege by Israel since early October.
At least 16 donor countries, including the top two contributors — the US and Germany — have frozen funding to UNRWA over the allegations and have been dubbed the "suspenders" in the corridors of UN headquarters in New York. About $440 million in funding is at risk. UNRWA will run out of money by the end of February if donors continue to withhold money.
The UN announced on Monday that it had appointed Catherine Colonna, France's former minister of foreign affairs, to lead the Independent Review Group to "assess whether the Agency is doing everything within its power to ensure neutrality and to respond to allegations of serious breaches when they are made." The group will begin work on February 14 and submit an interim report to the secretary general in late March with a final report — which will be made public — expected by late April 2024.
— France, UNRWA's fourth-biggest donor, has not suspended its voluntary contributions to the agency. Israel has not yet shared its full intelligence dossier with either UNRWA or the UN Office of Internal Oversight Services (OIOS), the UN legal body tasked with carrying out the internal investigation.
A six-page summary of the Israeli dossier leaked to a handful of media outlets and seen by FRANCE 24 provides the names of the 12 UNRWA staff members accused of participating in the Hamas attacks, ranging from kidnapping Israelis to helping to carry out the massacre at the Be'eri kibbutz. Two of the accused are dead and another is unaccounted for.
The dossier alleges that the first man on the list of the accused, an UNRWA school counselor, entered Israeli territory to kidnap an Israeli woman with the help of his son. The accusations say they are drawn, in part, from "intelligence information, documents and identity cards seized during the course of the fighting." The dossier estimates that there are around 190 Hamas or Palestine Islamic Jihad terrorist operatives working for UNRWA.
Donor nation Norway has refused to cut aid to UNRWA. The country's Minister of Foreign Affairs Espen Barth Eide urged other donors not to turn their backs on UNRWA, saying: "We should not collectively punish millions of people. We must distinguish between what individuals may have done and what UNRWA stands for."
Matthias Schmale, UNRWA director in Gaza from 2017 to 2021; "It can be legitimately asked why these allegations surfaced around the time of the ICJ judgment that, amongst other things, articulated the need for immediate and massive delivery of humanitarian aid, which cannot be done without UNRWA." — This article was produced in collaboration with France 24 and PassBlue.
Houthis vow more Red Sea attacks after third wave of US-UK strikes on Yemen: Washington says assault targeted 13 locations, including underground weapons stores, missile systems and launchers — The Guardian UK ● — 4 February 2024 (LINK)
CNN staff say network's pro-Israel slant amounts to 'journalistic malpractice': Insiders say pressure from the top results in credulous reporting of Israeli claims and silencing of Palestinian perspectives — The Guardian UK ● — 4 February 2024 (LINK)
Hamas deploys police, distributes funds in sign of resurgence in Gaza areas Israeli troops have left — ground.news main source: AP, 26 media reports — 3 February 2024 (LINK)
US forces attack at least 85 targets across Iraq and Syria; US has no plan to bomb Iran, which would be a huge escalation, officials say — The Guardian UK ● — 2 February 2024 (LINK)
UN agency calls Rafah a 'pressure cooker of despair' as Israel says offensive will move into city — The Guardian UK ● — 2 February 2024 (LINK)
— The latest figures from the Gaza health ministry, which is run by Hamas, said 112 Palestinians were killed in Israeli strikes and 148 were injured in the past 24 hours. According to the statement, at least 27,131 Palestinians have been killed and 66,287 have been injured in Israeli strikes on Gaza since 7 October. The ministry does not distinguish between combatants and non-combatants.
Turkey arrests seven suspected of selling information to Israel's Mossad — aljazeera — 2 February 2024 (LINK)
U.S. President Joe Biden has issued an executive order imposing financial sanctions and visa bans on Israeli settlers in the West Bank who have been attacking Palestinians — ground.news: 230 media reports — 1 February 2024 (LINK)